Tough, yet sensitive.
Scroll down for information on a currently-available and ready-to-ship WARHORSE violin!
WARHORSE is a revolutionary electric violin I have designed based on my decade of experience creating high-end custom instruments for professional players around the world. It’s built to withstand tough conditions on the road, and possesses the unrivalled tonal quality and versatility that my instruments have come to be known for. Photos of this new model are shown above and to the left; click on them to see larger versions.
The WARHORSE combines the best design elements of my classic Tubular Electric Violins (TEV) with a new level of durability and balance, topped off with sleek and aggressive styling. WARHORSE features include:
- The same unparalleled, hand-made, adjustable-timbre pickup system that I have used on all my instruments for the past several years. Plug straight into a guitar amp (solid-state or tube) for amazingly “acoustic” tone - without needing a preamp or EQ.
- Aluminum spine and bout sections, precisely machined from solid blocks of metal and hard-coat anodized to help resist scratches and with none of the chipping potential inherent in lacquer finishes.
- My ground-breaking string path design (patent pending), featuring tuners beneath the violin to allow for extremely comfortable tuning with the left hand while holding the instrument in playing position.
- An all-new neck curve design based on an extremely high-end professional template, topped off with the classic visual styling of the classic TEV scroll. The neck is maple with a linseed oil finish, which, unlike lacquer-finished necks, allows your hand to move as freely as on an acoustic violin’s neck.
- Radically new visual style with TEV references.
Michael Shulman, above, plays WARHORSE #1 (also shown below).
Joel Zifkin playing a WARHORSE violin, accompanying Rufus Wainwright at the Montreal Jazz Festival. YouTube video here.
One WARHORSE violin is available for immediate shipment!
I’ve generally built these violins to-order; however, with just one aluminum body left from the last batch (there won’t be another batch made for a while), and with other projects taking priority at the moment, I put this instrument together to be posted here and sold to the first person who grabs it. The finish is a light-silver powder-coating with a maple neck and katalox fingerboard and nut. As you can see in the photos below, it’s a stunner! I’m a perfectionist, so I feel obliged to point out that there are a few tiny imperfections in the powder-coating; however, you won’t notice them unless you look very closely. A customized hard case is included. Unlike most orders that I accept, there’s NO WAITING LIST for this one - it’s totally completed and ready to ship upon clearance of your payment! $2500 plus shipping. Contact me today for more information.